I want to retrieve specific text within a column in a SAS file.
The file would like the following:
Patient Location infoTxt
001 B Admission Code: 123456 X
Exit Code: 98765W
002 C Admission Code: 4567 WY
Exit Code: 76543Z
003 D Admission Code: 67890 L
Exit Code: 4321Z
I want to retrieve just the information after the colon for Admission Code and Exit Code and put them in their own columns. The 'codes' can be any combination of letters, numbers, and blank spaces. The new data would look like the following:
Patient Location AdmissionCode ExitCode
001 B 123456 X 8765W
002 C 4567 WY 76543Z
003 D 67890 L 4321Z
I'm not familiar with the functions in SAS, but maybe the logic would look something like the following:
data want;
set have;
do i = 1 to dim(infoTxt)
AdmissionCode = substring(string1, regexpr(":", string) + 1);
ExitCode = substring(string2, regexpr(":", string) + 1);
run;
In the code above, string1 would represent the first line of text in infoTxt and string2 would represent the second line of text infoTxt.
