How is returning a mutable reference that is behind an immutable reference, passed as an argument to the function, handled?
struct Foo { i: i32 }
struct Bar<'b> {
f: &'b mut Foo
}
impl<'a: 'b, 'b> Bar<'b> {
fn func(&'a self) -> &'b mut Foo {
self.f
}
}
fn main() {
let mut foo = Foo { i: 1 };
let bar = Bar { f: &mut foo };
bar.func();
}
gives the following error:
error[E0389]: cannot borrow data mutably in a `&` reference
--> src/main.rs:9:14
|
8 | fn func(&'a self) -> &'b mut Foo {
| -------- use `&'a mut self` here to make mutable
9 | self.f
| ^^^^^^ assignment into an immutable reference
I (sort of) understand what the compiler is trying to prevent here. But I am confused with the error message assignment into an immutable reference . What exactly is being assigned into self (or inside ofself.f?) ?
I wrote the following code to simulate this problem and got the same error message, which unlike the above one, I am able to understand. Here's the code:
fn main() {
let mut foo = Foo { i: 1 };
let bar = Bar { f: &mut foo };
let pbar = &bar;
pbar.f.i = 2; // assignment into an immutable reference
}
In the first example, is it trying to move the mutable reference f out of self (since &mut is not a Copy type), treating it as a mutation inside the immutable reference self, hence the error message assignment into an immutable reference?