I was trying to copy and paste some queries and noticed that the paste option is not working. After that I realized that my copy, paste, delete and next line option is not working at all. What will be the reason for this issue.
I was trying to copy and paste some queries and noticed that the paste option is not working. After that I realized that my copy, paste, delete and next line option is not working at all. What will be the reason for this issue.
When you press the Ctrl key, the text editor is looking for a mouse click to "Go to Definition".
Tools>Options>Text Editor>General> Uncheck "Enable mouse click to perform Go To Definition" (or you can change the modifier key to something you use less often if you want to continue using this feature)
What, exactly, are you trying to copy, and from where? For instance, if you're attempting to copy and paste tables, views or stored procedures (etc) in the Object Explorer, you'll have no luck.
For most of these items, you should be able to right-click, select "Script [Table | View | Stored Procedure ] As > CREATE TO > New Query Editor Window", then run the script.
Unfortunately(?), SSMS isn't as easy going as Microsoft Access, there's definitely a little work involved.
just experienced the same situation in SSMS v18.5! Also wasn't able to paste/copy code in the Query's Window. After playing around and restarting the App it wouldn't work. I did not have issues copying/pasting in all other applications.
Then I found a solution myself by simply thinking about how to "re-init" the engine of Copy/Paste in SSMS: Go to: Tools | Options | General | Check "Apply Cut or Copy to blank lines when there is no selection".
After applying the "fix" you should be able to copy/paste again! You may reset the checkmark later.
Hope you other guys have the same luck!
Edit: A few hours later the Copy/Paste again was not working and the fix did not work. I found out that a separate instance of Visual Studio had the same copy/paste problem. So it may be either a Windows 10 or .NET problem. A reboot helped me in that case.