USB-Serial loses connection immediately in new linux (kernel 4.12.14)

Viewed 3067

I upgraded my Linux(Opensuse from 42.3 to 15) but encountered new bug. When I connect my USBserial dongle it shows ttyUSB0 in dev folder and immediately disconnected and goes from dev list.

It seems all from 'brltty' but I don't know what is this doing.

My dmesg output is:

[  960.719371] usb 1-4: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[  960.898481] usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=10c4, idProduct=ea60
[  960.898483] usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  960.898484] usb 1-4: Product: CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller
[  960.898485] usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Silicon Labs
[  960.898486] usb 1-4: SerialNumber: 0001
[  961.424298] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[  961.424309] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[  961.424318] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[  961.425223] usbcore: registered new interface driver cp210x
[  961.425235] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for cp210x
[  961.425254] cp210x 1-4:1.0: cp210x converter detected
[  961.426718] usb 1-4: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[  961.679984] usb 1-4: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by cp210x while 'brltty' sets config #1
[  961.680703] cp210x ttyUSB0: cp210x converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[  961.680716] cp210x 1-4:1.0: device disconnected

ThanX

2 Answers

I had a similar issue with connecting an M5Stack Core device. At a point it stopped being visible to UIFlow and other provisionig tools for it.

After several days of mostly frustration, I googled that line from the dmesg output that mentions the 'brltty'. So a guy on the Linux Mint forum obviously figured it out. I removed 'brltty' in synaptic and it never gave me any indications of any other dependencies, hence it seemed safe for removal. Everything was downhill from there.

well I have ubuntu 22.04 same problem so removed "britty" which is for the blind via synaptic and now can connect to my radios no problem so far maybe it shouldn't be default?

Related