I am trying to create a D3 graph which looks like the Illustrator created design (Good Image 1), but the closest in terms of positioning I have been able to get is the second (Bad Image 2).
I'm really new to D3 and creating SVGs in general, so I may be going about this all wrong. The code below is what I've been able to figure out / find online. It looks like I can't directly adjust positioning of the elements themselves using css positioning? I tried adding classes via the html and also in JQuery with $(.myClass).css..., but everything I do has exactly zero effect. The only thing that seems to work is transform, but it's ugly, as can be seen in the second pic.
var margin = { left:10, right:10, top:10, bottom:10 };
var width = 400 - margin.left - margin.right,
height = 450 - margin.top - margin.bottom;
var g = d3.select("#pyramid-chart-area")
.append("svg")
.attr("width", width + margin.left + margin.right)
.attr("height", height + margin.top + margin.bottom)
.append("g")
.attr("transform", "translate(" + margin.left
+ ", " + margin.top + ")");
d3.json("../data/pyramid_hp.json").then(function(data){
data.forEach(function(d){
d.hp = +d.hp;
});
var x = d3.scaleBand()
.domain(data.map(function(d){ return d.hp; }))
.range([0, width])
.paddingInner(0.3)
.paddingOuter(0.3);
var y = d3.scaleLinear()
.domain([0, d3.max(data, function(d){
return d.hp;
})])
.range([height, 0]);
var xAxisCall = d3.axisBottom(x);
g.append("g")
.attr("class", "x axis")
.attr("transform", "translate(0, " + height + ")")
.call(xAxisCall)
.selectAll("text")
.attr("y", "10")
.attr("x", "-5")
.attr("text-anchor", "end")
.attr("transform", "rotate(-40)");
var yAxisCall = d3.axisLeft(y)
.ticks(3)
.tickFormat(function(d){
return d;
});
g.append("g")
.attr("class", "y-axis")
.call(yAxisCall);
var arc = d3.symbol().type(d3.symbolTriangle)
.size(function(d){ return scale(d.hp); });
var scale = d3.scaleLinear()
.domain([0, 5])
.range([0, width]);
var colors = d3.scaleLinear()
.domain(d3.extent(data, function(d) {return d.hp}))
.range([
'#ffffff',
'#303030'
]);
var group = g.append('g')
.attr('transform','translate('+ 192 +','+ 320 +')')
.attr('class', 'triangle-container');
var line = group.selectAll('path')
.data(data)
.enter()
.append('path')
.attr('d', arc)
// .attr('fill',function(d){ return colorscale(d.hp); })
.attr('fill', d => colors(d.hp))
.attr('stroke','#000')
.attr('stroke-width', 1)
.attr('class', 'triangle')
.attr('transform',function(d,i){ return "translate("+ (i * 20) +","+(i * 10)+")"; });
