Here is my scenario. I am trying to make a local web app to manipulate my movie files, both as a time saving tool and a python learning exercise.
Here is my server script:
from bottle import run, request, post, get, template, error, static_file
from pathlib import Path
import re
# Show a list of files ready to be moved
@get('/move_new_movies')
def move_new_movies():
return template('move_new_movies')
# Generate a list of files for move_new_movies page
@post('/generate_movie_list')
def generate_movie_list():
... do some stuff ...
return movie_list
if __name__ == '__main__':
run(debug=True, reloader=True)
generate_movie_list() returns a JSON array in the form of
{
'total_results': ,
'results': [{'folder': ,
'file_name':
}]
}
move_new_movies.tpl:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Move New Movies</title>
<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function() {
$('form').submit(function(e) {
$.ajax({
type: 'POST',
url: '/generate_movie_list',
data: $(this).serialize(),
success: function(response) {
-----error-------> <% movie_list = response['results']
movie_list_html = include('file_list', list='movie_list')
%>
$('#movie_list').html(movie_list_html);
}
});
e.preventDefault();
});
});
</script>
</head>
<body>
<h3>Enter path to new movies</h3>
<form action="/move_new_movies" method="POST">
<input type="text" name="movie_path">
<input type="submit" name="Submit">
</form>
<div id='movie_list'></div>
</body>
</html>
And finally, file_list.tpl
<table>
<tr>
<th>Folder</th>
<th>File Name</th>
</tr>
% for movie in list:
<tr>
<td>{{movie['folder']}}</td>
<td>{{movie['file_name']}}</td>
</tr>
% end
</table>
Now here's my problem. When I browse to .../move_new_movies, I get an error
Traceback (most recent call last):
... ... ...
File "\path\to\move_new_movies.tpl", line 15, in <module>
<% movie_list = response['results']
NameError: name 'response' is not defined
Originally, generate_movie_list() would return template('file_list'). There was no python in ajax.success(), and it would just update the page with whatever HTML it received. This worked just as expected; I entered a path, hit submit and the desired table would appear. However, I thought it would be better practice for the server to serve only the JSON data and have the client inset it into the appropriate template file.
I thought this because what if the list is not movies, but tv shows or music? I might want to use a different template and don't want to make a new rout for different media.
I feel like I'm getting this error because the template is being rendered before ajax.success() can define the results variable.
Any idea on how to make this work?