I just had an interview question, where I need to get the binary representation of an integer, this is something I should know how to do.. for example, 5 is represented in binary as 101, and the steps look something like:
// 5 % 2 = 1
// 5 / 2 = 2
// result = 1;
// 2 % 2 = 0
// 2 / 2 = 1
// result = 10
// 1 % 2 = 1
// 1 / 2 = 0
// result = 101
the stopping condition is when ~~(1/2) === 0
so I have this:
const getBinary = (v) => {
let remainder, binary = 1;
while (true) {
remainder = v % 2;
v = ~~(v / 2);
if (v === 0) {
return binary;
}
if (remainder === 0) {
binary = binary * 10 + 1;
}
else {
binary = binary * 10;
}
}
};
console.log(getBinary(5));
so that works, but the binary variable is initialized to 1. Is there a way to improve this so it works with negative numbers, or if 0 is passed as the argument to the function?