I currently have the following proxy pass definition in my nginx config file :
location /pass/ {
proxy_pass http://localhost:9999/pass/;
proxy_redirect off;
proxy_set_header Host $host;
}
This is working as expected - /pass requests are forwarded to the app running on port 9999.
Now, what I want to do is make the port forwarding part dynamic as follows :
location /pass/<input> {
{a $port variable here that is evaluated via a script (php?)}
proxy_pass http://localhost:$port/pass/;
proxy_redirect off;
proxy_set_header Host $host;
}
Requests to /pass/ABCD1234 should be forwarded to port 9898 and Requests to /pass/ABCD5678 should be forwarded to port 9797.
Note that the flow is dynamic - so, the mapping from ABCD1234 to 9898 should happen through some sort of scripting (PHP maybe?) and based on the output of the script (a port) the proxy_pass should forward the request to that port.
Please Help in this regard.
UPDATE :
Instead of getting the proxy_pass port from URI input, I would like to get this going with a cookie. So, here is the updated code block :
location /pass/ {
add_header X-debug-message $host always;
add_header X-debug-message $cookie_sdmport;
set $proxyurl http://127.0.0.1:$cookie_theport/pass/;
add_header X-debug-message $proxyurl;
proxy_pass $proxyurl;
proxy_redirect off;
proxy_set_header Host $host;
}
With this code, there is looping 301 redirect back to the browser. The moment I switch back to static port, it works again! strange! The $proxyurl in the X-debug-message looks correct on the browser. So, wondering why proxy_pass is doing a 301!
UPDATE 2:
Finally got the forwarding working with following setup:
set $targetIP 127.0.0.1;
set $targetPort $cookie_passport;
proxy_pass http://$targetIP:$targetPort$request_uri;
Not sure why the solution as posted in above keeps spinning with a 301 - I guess nginx does not like mixing dynamic and static parts in the proxy_pass param
Thank You.