Here is my TextInputEditText inside TextInputLayout. The hint you can see is set on TextInputLayout.
The user must write 255 characters otherwise the post is not valid.
I want the digit 255 to decrease as the user types and when reached to 0, the hint should be blank.
Here is my code :
private int charactersLeft = 256; is declared outside onCreate method.
And this code is inside onCreate method :
final TextInputLayout postTextInputBase = findViewById(R.id.post_text_input_base);
final TextInputEditText postTextInput = findViewById(R.id.post_text_input);
postTextInput.addTextChangedListener(new TextWatcher() {
@Override
public void beforeTextChanged(CharSequence s, int start, int count, int after) {
}
@Override
public void onTextChanged(CharSequence s, int start, int before, int count) {
if (charactersLeft == 0) {
postTextInputBase.setHint(null);
} else {
postTextInputBase.setHint((charactersLeft - 1) + " characters left");
}
}
@Override
public void afterTextChanged(Editable s) {
}
});
I also tried to set charactersLeft to characterLeft -= 1 but, the java won't allow me to do that.
Then, how do I do this ?



