Get artist from spotify api using ClientID

Viewed 1353

I was using spotify api to get info about a artist with the code below:

spotify_artist = requests.get('https://api.spotify.com/v1/search?q=U2"&type=artist").json()
print(spotify_artist['artists']['items'][0]['genres'])

But I get:

{
  "error": {
    "status": 401,
    "message": "No token provided"
  }
}

So I get a spotify clientID but when I use it its not working:

https://api.spotify.com/v1/search?q=U2%22&type=artist&ClientID=key

(key is the ClientID of the spotify)

But I get the same error:

{
  "error": {
    "status": 401,
    "message": "No token provided"
  }
}

Do you know why?

I generate a key (cliente id) for the example you can see that dont works properly:

https://api.spotify.com/v1/search?q=U2&type=artist&client_id=38a48a7baeae43b8a74a52fc25a85cd0

3 Answers

If you just want to do one-off / ad-hoc request to Spotify API, you can use https://developer.spotify.com/console/ . There you can choose which API to call and just fill in the fields needed (including OAuth Token, where they have Get Token button to guide you).

Related