VSCode + VSCodeVim undo key rebinding

Viewed 3035

VSCodeVim uses different undo stack and it annoys me when after undoing all the unsaved changes in vim undo stack, VSCode still shows that file is not saved. For that reason, I'd like to use VSCode's undo stack and map "u" to "Ctrl+z". My keybinding is following:

{
    "key": "u",
    "command": "undo",
    "when": "editorTextFocus && !editorReadonly && vim.active && vim.mode != 'Insert'" 
}

The problem is that even though I specified that it shouldn't work when vim mode is Insert it still undoes the last change and inserts 'u'. Can anyone suggest what is the correct way to rebind undo?

2 Answers

To piggyback off of dtasev's comment

... the "args": [] doesn't seem to be necessary, and "otherModesKeyBindingsNonRecursive" doesn't exist as an option anymore. I bound mine to normalModeKeyBindings. Also bound <C-r> to redo to use VSCode's redo stack as well

on this answer (and to be explicit with the JSON), this is what I put in my settings.json using vim.normalModeKeyBindingsNonRecursive as opposed to vim.normalModeKeyBindings:

"vim.normalModeKeyBindingsNonRecursive": [
        { 
            "before": ["u"], 
            "after": [],
            "commands": [
                {
                    "command": "undo", 
                    "args": []
                }
            ] 
        }, 
        { 
            "before": ["<C-r>"], 
            "after": [],
            "commands": [
                {
                    "command": "redo", 
                    "args": []
                }
            ] 
        } 
    ]
Related