How to toggle between vim-emulation and no-vim-emulation when the vscodevim extension is installed?

Viewed 19083

I haven't found a way to quickly do this without having to entirely disable the extension in the "Extensions" panel. In IntelliJ IDEA, one can easily toggle on/off the emulation with a configurable keyboard shortcut. I guess it should also be possible in VSCode.

2 Answers

This answer is an extension to the previous answer.

You can use a keyboard shorcut for toggleVim command with the help of keybindings in VS code.

For example, here I want to use Ctrl+Alt+V to toggle Vim mode on/off. To do this I add the following to keybindings.json and save the file.

    {
        "key": "ctrl+alt+v",
        "command": "toggleVim"
    }

You can open keybindings.json from command palette Ctrl+Shift+P, >Preferences: Open Keyboard Shortcuts (JSON).

Please note, you have to be careful to choose only from unused keybindings in Vim and VS code. Alt key combinations are unused in Vim.

Related