New SQL Server Installation - Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation

Viewed 11312

I have a new Windows 10 Home machine and I want to install SQL server. I already have Visual Studio 2017 installed and SSMS 2017 (Which I initially though installed SQL).

On first try I got this error:

VS Shell installation has failed with exit code 1638

And found I needed to Uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) and (x64), install SQL Server, then reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) and (x64). As seen here

Then I got this error:

Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation

enter image description here

  1. I tried the registry key permissions from this link
  2. I tried editing my local group policy but Win 10 doesn't have one.
  3. I tried exiting from all Firewalls and Anti-malware software.

I have been trying to install SQL Server for 4 weeks now

Edit:

I found the logs but the error seems the same:

enter image description here

3 Answers
Related