Anaconda Navigator / apps won't launch / Windows 7

Viewed 2181

Anaconda3 installed easily on Win-7/x64

  • Installed in d:\Anaconda3 directory to avoid issue with space in my user name (User Name = \users\first last\)
  • Path not set for python, as advised during installation

All apps / python work from the command line. However,

  1. Installation link in Windows Start Menu still points to my home directory (with a space in the name)
  2. Apps will not launch from the Anaconda Navigator (progress bar moves and nothing happens... including no error message)
  3. Apps will launch from Anaconda Prompt

Troubleshooting:

  • Pointed the Anaconda Navigator Properties to Start In 'D:\Home'
  • Ran conda update anaconda
2 Answers

Try with the followings as mentioned in this link:

conda update conda
conda update anaconda-navigator
conda update navigator-updater

I did the following after researching (and tearing my hair out) for a day. From Command Prompt, I entered the following after navigating to the C:\Users\<user>\Anaconda3\Scripts directory:

activate root

That turns it into an Anaconda prompt.

Then, like others here, I updated Anaconda all the way around:

conda update -n root conda
conda update --all
conda update conda
conda update anaconda-navigator

I also did a reset:

anaconda-navigator --reset

I guess, after a while, one gets desperate (this followed three uninstalls/reinstalls etc.) Still, I got this error, which had started the entire "journey":

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "windows" in ""
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Otherwise, Anaconda did not show up on the Start menu, and could not be launched. PyQt5 was installed.

What also did not do anything was adding Anaconda's path to PATH in system variables.

The last thing I did fixed everything: I copied the entire PyQt5 folder from

C:\Users\<user>\Anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\

where it seemed more complete/contain more to

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages\
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages\

and then tried it again. And it finally came up.

Hope this helps somebody.

Related