I have a file with lots of sections in this format:
section_name_1 <attribute_1:value> <attribute_2:value> ... <attribute_n:value> {
field_1 finish_num:start_num some_text ;
field_2 finish_num:start_num some_text ;
...
field_n finish_num:start_num some_text;
};
section_name_2 ...
... and so on
The file can be hundreds of thousands of lines long. The number of attributes and fields for each section can be different. I'd like to build a few dictionaries to hold some of these values. I have a separate dictionary already which holds all the possible 'attribute' values.
import os, re
from collections import defaultdict
def mapFile(myFile, attributeMap_d):
valueMap_d = {}
fieldMap_d = defaultdict(dict)
for attributeName in attributeMap_d:
valueMap_d[attributeName] = {}
count = 0
with open(myFile, "rb") as fh:
for line in fh:
# only look for lines with <
if '<' in line:
# match all attribute:value pairs inside <> brackets
attributeAllMatch = re.findall(r'<(\S+):(\S+)>', line)
attributeAllMatchLen = len(attributeAllMatch)
count = 0
sectionNameMatch = re.match(r'(\S+)\s+<', line)
# store each section name and its associated attribute and value into dict
for attributeName in attributeMap_d:
for element in attributeAllMatch:
if element[0] == attributeName:
valueMap_d[attributeName][sectionNameMatch.group(1).rstrip()] = element[1].rstrip()
count += 1
# stop searching if all attributes in section already matched
if count == attributeAllMatchLen: break
nextLine = next(fh)
#in between each squiggly bracket, store all the field names and start/stop_nums into dict
#this while loop is very slow...
while not "};" in nextLine:
fieldMatch = re.search(r'(\S+)\s+(\d+):(\d+)', nextLine)
if fieldMatch:
fieldMap_d[sectionNameMatch.group(1)][fieldMatch.group(1)] = [fieldMatch.group(2), fieldMatch.group(3)]
nextLine = next(fh)
return valueMap_d
My problem is that the while loop that matches all the field values is noticeably slower than the rest of the code: 0.5s vs. 2.2s according to cProfile if I remove the while loop. I'm wondering what I can do to speed it up.