On git bash, I receive a command not found message for python, r and nano.
I am on Windows 10. I do not know what I am doing wrong.
I type
r --version
python --version
nano --version
and they all return command not found.
I read something that had me try
alias python='winpty python.exe'
and it renamed python, but when I tried
touch .bashrc
it returned
touch: command not found
I followed the instructions in a Github course, PS239T. I have been fortunate, except for getting these three programs to work.
I tried
build/console.exe c:/Python36/python.exe
and it returned
build/console.exe: No such file or directory
I tried
PATH=$PATH:/c/Python36/
$ export PATH="$PATH:/c/Python36"
echo 'export PATH="$PATH:/c/Python36"' > .profile
and nothing.
I got Python 64-bit via Anaconda.
I tried setting up the Python 3.4 environment
conda create –n py34 python=3.4 anaconda
./python name_of_your_python_script.py
nothing.
which python
got me a huge directory path:
which: no python in (/c/Users/Edward/bin:/mingw64/bin:/usr/local/bin:usr
/bin:/bin:/mingw64/bin:/usr/bin:c/user/Edward/bin:/c/Program Files
(X86)/Intel/ 1CLS client:/c/Program Files/Intel/1CLS Client:/c/Windows
/System32:/C/Windows:/C/Windows/Sytem32/Wbem:/c/Windows/System32
WindowsPowerShell/V1.0:/c/Program Files/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine
Components/Dal:/c/Program Files/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine
Components/IPT:/c/Program Files (x86)/Intel/Intel(R) magament Engine
Components/IPT:/c/Program Files (X86)/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine
Components/IPT:/c/WINDOWS/Syste,32/Wbem:/c/WINDOWS/System32
/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/c/Program Files (x86)/Rand McNally/RNDDock
/GtkSharp/2.12/bin/:/c/Program Files d/AppData/Local/Mircosoft
/WindowsApps:/c/Users/Edward/AppData/Local/Pandoc:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:
/usr/bincore_perl:/c/python36
I would have just put up the screenshot or copied and pasted it, but I do not know how.
I am sure I made an error somewhere.
I get the same type of results when I try to figure out what is going on with r and nano.
Update 1
Download and install 'Anaconda'
'https://store.continuum.io/cshop/anaconda/'.
Download the default Python 3 installer 'do not follow the link to version 2'. Use all of the defaults for installation except make sure to check 'Make Anaconda the default Python.'
Install R by downloading and running
'this .exe file from CRAN'
'http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/release.htm'.
Also, please install the 'RStudio IDE'
'http://www.rstudio.com/ide/download/desktop'.
All you need is RStudio Desktop.
nano is a basic editor and the default that we use in this class. To install it, download the
Software Carpentry Windows installer
http://files.software-carpentry.org/SWCarpentryInstaller.exe'
and double click on the file to run it. 'This installer requires an active internet connection.'
Sublime Text is a more advanced editor. Download Sublime Text 3 'here'
'https://www.sublimetext.com/3'.
Update 2
I began trying janos advice and ran
/c/Python36/python.exe --version
and it returned
bash: '/c/python36/python.exe: No such file or directory.
I tried to run
PATH="/c/Python36:$PATH" python.exe --version
but it returned
bash: python.exe.: command not found
I tried to run
PATH="/c/Python36:$PATH" python --version
and it returned
bash: python: command not found
Update 3
janos told me I went too far without figuring out the problem, then told me to run
ls -l /c/Python36/python.exe
and it returned
ls: cannot access '/c/Python36/python.exe': no such file or directory.
janos told me to focus on the first error
bash: '/c/python36/python.exe: No such file or directory.
after entering
/c/Python36/python.exe --version
and so there I will focus.
janos asserted
Can you open a file explorer and navigate to C:\Python36, and see python.exe there? Probably not.
and is correct.
I ran
C/Users/Edward/Anaconda3/pkgs/python-3.6.3-h9e2ca53_1/python.exe
with no success.
I ran that in explorer and found that the publisher could not be verified.
Update 4
I went to
'python.org/downloads/release/python-363'
and downloaded 'Windows x86 embeddable zip file' and Unzipped it in
C/Users/Edward/Anaconda3/pkgs
it worked.
Thank you.
I bet I am having the same problems with 'r' and 'nano'.
I am going to run down the list again and perform all the check. I will do the same thing with 'r' and 'nano'.
Everything worked out for Python. I will do 'nano' and 'r' in due course.
I could not find
/c/python36/
so I used
/c/Users/Edward/Anaconda3/pkgs/python-3.6.3-embed-win32/
Update 5
janos is right again. I would need to create the python36 folder as it was not built automatically during the installation. janos' method worked on 'r' and 'subl' or sublime text 3. I gave up on 'nano'.
I found that some of my '.exe' files were in listing with spaces in the names. I moved to the user folder and eliminated any spaces.
I also downloaded version from the official website, and that too helped.
I could not figure out how to get 'nano' to work. I could not even find it on my pc. I used 'subl' instead.