Can I convert any matrix to an image?

Viewed 40

I have a hypothetical question about image processing:

Supposing we have a grayscale image of size 2x2 which can be represented by an integer matrix (intensity values) with the same dimensions:

(050, 150)
(100, 250)

After applying some mathematical functions (it can be any mathematical function) the values were changed, for example:

(550, 825)
(990, 1120)

Is there any way that I can represent this matrix as an image again (considering that the pixels intensity range is 0-255)?

One option which I can think about is to 'normalize' these values by finding the lower value and decreasing it from each value:

(0, 275)
(440, 570)

Then, finding the higher value and consider it as the 255, for example:

(0, 48)
(77, 255)

I'm not sure if this approach makes sense (or is efficient to represent the original image).

Anyway, this question is just a conceptual doubt, I'm not trying to implement it, so I haven't any code to show.

1 Answers

Is there any way that I can represent this matrix as an image again
( considering that the pixels intensity range is 0-255 ) ?

Oh yes, we can.

The issue is with a colorspace-mapping.

Not just the translation from an unknown range of < A, B >, but also within a certain and reasonable context of the two different colorspace-ranges, the latter ( the target ) of which is the said (int) < 0, 255 > bound.

Given many 2x2 matrices get produced by some unknown process, their colorspace-transcoding ought keep some rationale, that if all were put side by side, the transcoding used should be "non-local" ( having some global anchor for globally equalised normalisation of individual colorspace-transcoding values ) so as not to "devastate" any phenomenon, that was observed in the original colorspace on 4096 x 4096 imagery source, but was "torn" appart, by just locally-normalised 2 x 2 transcoding ( this will lead to incoherrent target colorspaces and the globally observable visual phenomenon will not be visible in a set of target 2x2 sub-views right due to incompatible colorspaces transcoding -- a new kind o non-linear disorder will be introduced due to globally discoordinated colorspace-transcoding and the initial information value of the original will be lost )

Related