Can't use application permissions (roles) to access Microsoft Graph API group calendar

Viewed 664

My goal is to list the calendar events of an Office 365 group using the Microsoft Graph API. The endpoint used is https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/groups/{id}/events based on the documentation. Using the Graph Explorer, I'm able to get the information with my delegated permissions. The problem is when I make the same call using application permissions. I'm positive JWT token contains the required roles to make the call (Group.Read.All, Group.ReadWrite.All) but I'm getting the following error:

Access is denied. Check credentials and try again

Curiously enough, I'm able to get the group /v1.0/groups/{id} but whatever is related to it's calendar and events isn't accessible.

1 Answers

Using application permissions to look at group resources/contents is not currently supported. Please see known issues here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/docs/concepts/known_issues#groups-and-microsoft-teams.

If this is required for your scenarios, please vote for

Both of which are about app-only access to group conversations (similar to group events).

Otherwise please create a new user voice request.

Related