Recently I saw a quite old code in C++, where int var(12) was used instead of int var=12. Why does it work? And should I avoid writing this style of declaration?
Recently I saw a quite old code in C++, where int var(12) was used instead of int var=12. Why does it work? And should I avoid writing this style of declaration?
There are three ways of initializing variables are valid in C++.
type identifier = initial_value;
For example, to declare a variable of type int called x and initialize it to a value of zero from the same moment it is declared, we can write:
int a=5; // initial value: 5
type identifier (initial_value);
A second method, known as constructor initialization (introduced by the C++ language), encloses the initial value between parentheses (()):
int b(3); // initial value: 3
type identifier {initial_value};
Finally, a third method, known as uniform initialization, similar to the above, but using curly braces ({}) instead of parentheses (this was introduced by the revision of the C++ standard, in 2011):
int c{2}; // initial value: 2
You should check Documentation section Initialization of variables