Switch themes in angular material 5

Viewed 36829

I been reading a few articles on this but they seem to be conflicting in several different ways. I am hoping to re-create the same theme switching as the angular material documentation site for the latest version of angular material [5.0.0-rc0]

I have two custom themes, this is custom-theme.scss and there is light-custom-theme.scss which is nearly identical, sans the mat-dark-theme

@import '~@angular/material/theming';
$custom-theme-primary: mat-palette($mat-blue);
$custom-theme-accent: mat-palette($mat-orange, A200, A100, A400);
$custom-theme-warn: mat-palette($mat-red);
$custom-theme: mat-dark-theme($custom-theme-primary, $custom-theme-accent, $custom-theme-warn);

@include angular-material-theme($custom-theme);

My styles.scss looks like so

@import '~@angular/material/theming';
@include mat-core();
@import 'custom-theme.scss';
@import 'light-custom-theme.scss';
.custom-theme {
  @include angular-material-theme($custom-theme);
}

.light-custom-theme {
  @include angular-material-theme($light-custom-theme);
}

And then it's called in the index.html <body class="mat-app-background">

Everything works fine when I do one theme. But I am trying to switch between the two. Adding both themes into angular-cli.json, the light-custom-theme takes over

"styles": [
  "styles.scss",
  "custom-theme.scss",
  "light-custom-theme.scss"
],

I have the following code in place in one of my components to handle toggling themes

toggleTheme(): void {
  if (this.overlay.classList.contains("custom-theme")) {
    this.overlay.classList.remove("custom-theme");
    this.overlay.classList.add("light-custom-theme");
  } else if (this.overlay.classList.contains("light-custom-theme")) {
    this.overlay.classList.remove("light-custom-theme");
    this.overlay.classList.add("custom-theme");
  } else {
    this.overlay.classList.add("light-custom-theme");
  }
}

But whenever it runs the theme remains the same. For what it is worth, there is already a "cdk-overlay-container" object at position 0 in overlay.classList

0:"cdk-overlay-container"
1:"custom-theme"
length:2
value:"cdk-overlay-container custom-theme" 

I am unsure how to debug this as the angular material documentation doesn't give me too much to work with, any help would be appreciative!

Thanks!

4 Answers

You have to use the getContainerElement method of OverlayContainer. Here's some example usage:

this.overlay.getContainerElement().classList.add('my-theme');

As for your style files, I strongly suggest removing this line for both custom-theme.scss and light-custom-theme.scss (you only need it for your classes in this case):

@include angular-material-theme($custom-theme); // Remove this line from custom-theme.scss and light-custom-theme.scss

If you also want to toggle the theme for your app, you should probably use this in the same toggleTheme method:

toggleTheme(): void {
  if (this.overlay.classList.contains("custom-theme")) {
    this.overlay.classList.remove("custom-theme");
    this.overlay.classList.add("light-custom-theme");
  } else if (this.overlay.classList.contains("light-custom-theme")) {
    this.overlay.getContainerElement().classList.remove("light-custom-theme");
    this.overlay.classList.add("custom-theme");
  } else {
    this.overlay.classList.add("light-custom-theme");
  }
  if (document.body.classList.contains("custom-theme")) {
    document.body.classList.remove("custom-theme");
    document.body.classList.add("light-custom-theme");
  } else if (document.body.classList.contains("light-custom-theme")) {
    document.body.classList.remove("light-custom-theme");
    document.body.classList.add("custom-theme");
  } else {
    this.overlay.classList.add("light-custom-theme");
  }
}
Related