Is there a way for a lambda function to execute it's custom error prompt for AWS Lex bot?

Viewed 1721

I want to handle error messages dynamically and not rely on what we declared in the Lex dashboard. However when I tried to type a wrong message it will immediately trigger the default error message. When I check the lambda logs using Serverless the lambda function was not executed.

See logs:

enter image description here

There was no new entry when I typed in "can you do this". I was expecting that the lambda function would execute since I added some console.log to check out the event data.

Is it even possible?

2 Answers

The Lambda function will only be called when an Intent has been matched.

The "Sorry, can you please repeat that?" (or whatever else you have specified in the Error Handling section of the Lex dashboard) is returned when the input text doesn't match an Intent, independent of your Lambda function.

You can have validation code in your Lambda - but again, this will only be called if an Intent is matched to begin with.

One approach is to have extra Intents to handle utterances your users may say that fall outside of the scope of the chatbot e.g. "Who are you", "what's your name", "Do bots dream of bot sheep", whatever. The list of sample utterances for these extra Intents can be updated as more users test / use your bot.

Related