How to do weighted softmax output custom op in mxnet?

Viewed 1075

I want to replace mx.symbol.SoftmaxOutput with the weighted version (assign different weight respect to label's frequency in the whole dataset)

The original function works well like below:

cls_prob = mx.symbol.SoftmaxOutput(data=data,
                                   label=label,
                                   multi_output=True,
                                   normalization='valid',
                                   use_ignore=True, 
                                   ignore_label=-1,
                                   name='cls_prob')

The current code I wrote as below. The code can run without errors, but the loss quickly explode to nan. I am dealing with detection problem, RCNNL1 loss with quickly become nan when I use my code as CustomOp. Another thing is that I have to ignore label -1 and I am not sure how to do it properly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

import mxnet as mx
import numpy as np

class WeightedSoftmaxCrossEntropyLoss(mx.operator.CustomOp):
    def __init__(self, num_class):
        self.num_class = int(num_class)

    def forward(self, is_train, req, in_data, out_data, aux):

        data = in_data[0]
        label = in_data[1]
        pred = mx.nd.SoftmaxOutput(data, label, multi_output=True,
                               normalization='valid', use_ignore=True, ignore_label=-1,
                               name='rcnn_cls_prob')

        self.assign(out_data[0], req[0], pred)

    def backward(self, req, out_grad, in_data, out_data, in_grad, aux):
        cls_weight = np.array([
            0.002852781814876101, 
            0.30715984513157385, 
            1.0932468996115976, 
            1.1598757152765971, 
            0.20739109264009636, 
            1.1984256112776808, 
            0.18746186040248036, 
            2.9009928470737023, 
            0.92140970338602113, 
            1.200317380251021
        ])
        label = in_data[1]
        pred = out_data[0]
        label = label.asnumpy().astype('int32').reshape((-1))
        pred = pred.asnumpy().reshape((pred.shape[0], pred.shape[1], -1)).transpose((0, 2, 1))
        pred = pred.reshape((label.shape[0], -1))

        # Need to ignore label (how)
        out_inds = np.where(label == -1)[0]
        #label = label[keep_inds]
        one_hot = np.zeros((label.shape[0], self.num_class))
        one_hot[np.arange(label.shape[0]), label] = 1
        # gradient
        dx = pred - one_hot
        #dx[out_inds] = 0.0
        weighted_dx = cls_weight * dx / 4
        self.assign(in_grad[0], req[0], weighted_dx)

@mx.operator.register("weighted_softmax_ce_loss")
class WeightedSoftmaxCrossEntropyLossProp(mx.operator.CustomOpProp):
    def __init__(self, num_class):
        super(WeightedSoftmaxCrossEntropyLossProp, self).__init__(need_top_grad=False)
        self.num_class = num_class

    def list_arguments(self):
        return ['data', 'label']

    def list_outputs(self):
        return ['output']

    def infer_shape(self, in_shapes):
        data_shape = in_shapes[0]
        label_shape = (in_shapes[0][0],)
        output_shape = in_shapes[0]
        return [data_shape, label_shape], [output_shape], []

    def create_operator(self, ctx, in_shapes, in_dtypes):
        #  create and return the CustomOp class.
        `enter code here`return WeightedSoftmaxCrossEntropyLoss(self.num_class)
1 Answers
Related