Python Logging - How to inherit root logger level & handler

Viewed 15993

I am a python newbie, trying to implement logging into my code. I have two modules

main.py submodule.py

main.py

import logging
from logging.handlers import RotatingFileHandler
import submodule


import logging
from logging.handlers import RotatingFileHandler

logger = logging.getLogger(__name__)
logger.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)

fh = RotatingFileHandler('master.log', maxBytes=2000000, backupCount=10)
formatter = logging.Formatter('%(asctime)s - %(name)s - %(levelname)s - %(message)s')
fh.setFormatter(formatter)
logger.addHandler(fh)

logger.debug('DEBUG LEVEL - MAIN MODULE')
logger.info('INFO LEVEL - MAIN MODULE')

submodule.loggerCall()

submodule.py

import logging
from logging.handlers import RotatingFileHandler


def loggerCall():
    logger = logging.getLogger(__name__)
#    logger.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)

    fh = RotatingFileHandler('master.log', maxBytes=2000000, backupCount=10)
    formatter = logging.Formatter('%(asctime)s - %(name)s - %(levelname)s - %(message)s')
    fh.setFormatter(formatter)
    logger.addHandler(fh)

    logger.debug('SUBMODULE: DEBUG LOGGING MODE : ')
    logger.info('Submodule: INFO LOG')

    return

I thought as longs as I call the getLogger from my submodule, it should inherit the log level & handler details from root logger. However, in my case, I have to specify log level and handler again in submodule to get them print to same log file.

Also, If I have lots of methods, and classes inside my submodule. How can I go about it without having to define my log level & handler again.

Idea is to have a single log file with main, and sub modules printing in the same log based on the log level set in the main module.

Thanks in advance

I am sorry, as this could be a duplicate question and I did go through those similar questions, but couldn't figure out how this works. Hence posting this question. I am not intentionally creating a duplicate bcz I didn't lookup for it.

1 Answers
Related