Laravel 5 with Xdebug always throws "The payload is invalid."

Viewed 18079

I configured Xdebug on VScode to debug my laravel application. But, when I start to debug, laravel always throws this error: Exception has occurred. Illuminate\Contracts\Encryption\DecryptException: The payload is invalid.

I already tried to run php artisan optimize.

Anyone here already faced this issue? I'm using Laravel 5.5

Ps. I tried to debug a Laravel 4 application. It worked without any issues. So, I think it may be something specific for Laravel 5.

6 Answers

By default Laravel will encrypt, and subsequently also decrypt, all cookies on a request.

When using Xdebug to debug your application from a browser, a cookie called "XDEBUG_SESSION" is set. As this cookie was not set, and thus not encrypted, by the Laravel framework, an error will be thrown when the framework automatically detects and tries to decrypt the cookie.

The correct solution is to just add the "XDEBUG_SESSION" cookie to the exceptions array in the App\Http\Middleware\EncryptCookies middleware.

/**
 * The names of the cookies that should not be encrypted.
 *
 * @var array
 */
protected $except = [
    'XDEBUG_SESSION'
];

If the answer doesn't work, try adding this into launch.json

{
        "name": "Listen for XDebug",
        "type": "php",
        "request": "launch",
        "port": 9001,
        "ignore": [
            "**/vendor/**/*.php"
        ]
    },

More info: https://stackoverflow.com/a/49795318/1998033

The @ceejayoz comment solved the issue. I run php artisan otimize, and the clear all my cookies on the browser, and it started to work properly.

As far as I am concerned, I also had to turn off the Exceptions and Everything from being reported, or else, the issue persisted.

This my solution. I'm using VsCode and the file configuration xdebug (launch.json) must be match to workspace

{
// Use IntelliSense to learn about possible attributes.
// Hover to view descriptions of existing attributes.
// For more information, visit: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=830387
"version": "0.2.0",
"configurations": [
    {
        "name": "Listen for XDebug",
        "type": "php",
        "request": "launch",
        "port": 9000,
        "log":true,
        "pathMappings": {

           // "serverSourceRoot": "/var/www/html",
            //"localSourceRoot": "${workspaceRoot}"
            "/var/www/html":"/Users/{username}/sites/{mysitefolder}"

        },
    },
    {
        "name": "Launch currently open script",
        "type": "php",
        "request": "launch",
        "program": "${file}",
        "cwd": "${fileDirname}",
        "port": 9000
    }
]

}

Temporarily commented out \App\Http\Middleware\EncryptCookies::class, which is inside of the web middlewareGroups of app/Http/Kernel. Solved my issue with this. Do need to remember turn it back though. Any better solutions from anyone? I tried the above mentioned methods, no one worked for me, unfortunately.

Related