"Failed to set plugin placeholders" message?

Viewed 22465

Xcode 9.1 Simulator 10.0 OSX 10.12.6

I would like to upload a new build of my sticker pack to iTunes Connect. But Product > Archive is grayed out. So I ran the Simulator and got ""Failed to set plugin placeholders for (name)."

Only one answer anywhere in the whole world -- delete Derived Data Folder. I did and got same error message.

BTW Under General in Xcode the Version is 1. The build is 1.4. Does the build number have to be changed somewhere else as well?

14 Answers

What worked for me, Go to your target Build Phases and on "Embedded App Extensions" check the "Copy only when installing" checkbox.

enter image description here

You must have different bundleIds for your project and extension.

Example:

  • App bundleId: com.companyName.appName
  • Extension bundleId: com.companyName.appName.extensionName

I got this error when I set one configuration file for my project and notification service.

I changed the notification service configuration file to the correct one and this fixed my problem. enter image description here

This is the solution:

app bundle identifier: com.SohaibSiddique.ShopApp
extension bundle identifier: com.SohaibSiddique.ShopApp.Notification

It may work for you.

Click details button in Error prompt and check the error log. In mycase it was "bundleVersion must be set in placeholder attributes for a plugin placeholder", Build version was empty in one of my target led me into this error.

Product->Clean Build Folder

Solved it for me.

It may also happen if the bundle identifier of the extension doesn't have the app identifier as a prefix.

E.g. this would raise the OP issue:

  • com.example.App
  • com.example.AppExtension

Instead:

  • com.example.App
  • com.example.App.Extension

will work as expected.

In my case, even though I was respecting the your.bundle.identifiex.<+extensionSuffixHere> format, I had both the Widget and AppExtension with the same bundle Id.

Apparently, even though on build time it doesn't create any problem, on runtime it gave me this error. So remember to set differently in case you're in the same situation!

Widgets Extensions

This can happen with embedded widgets when the NSExtension property is not set correctly in the Info.plist for the widget.

NSExtension property of type Dictionary with the sub-property NSExtensionPointIdentifier of type String set to com.apple.widgetkit-extension.

First make sure your Bundle ID

com.apple.product

com.apple.product.topshelf

Then create a certificates from developer site and install

Now Clean Build folder and Run

It works now...!

For me, one of my build targets had the wrong bundle identifier set (it was set to the bundle identifier of another target), hence the conflict / duplicate. I changed it to reflect its own Display Name and then the build worked again.

My Problem was that i malformed the info.plist from ShareExtension. Go line by line through your .plist script and check for wrong syntax or similar.

Related