Faster alternative to $(window).scroll?

Viewed 3335

I've noticed that the jQuery scroll bind of $(window).scroll tends to lag down pages a significant amount. For example, I have elements on my page change styles when I scroll past them using the following script:

$(window).scroll(function() {
     var bottom_of_window = $(window).scrollTop() + $(window).height();
     $('.ElementsToBeChanged').each(function() { 
            var bottom_of_object = $(this).offset().top + $(this).outerHeight();
            if (bottom_of_window > bottom_of_object) {
                //Add my styles
            }
        });

});

It understandably makes the website laggy, since it constantly runs on scroll, but I haven't come across any alternative for triggering events when objects are scrolled past. These kinds of websites that trigger events on scroll seem pretty common; What do they use to bypass this lag?

1 Answers

What slows down your performance is not the scroll function itself but the fact that you're doing a lot of calculations per each item on every scroll event.

But despite that I wasn't able to see any drop in performance with 20 elements on screen.

Try to cache your window object as variable [ex: win = $(window)] and use el from the each function instead of this.

Instead of changing your css directly using jQuery, try adding/removing classes.

Don't use denounce as others have mentioned as it will not fire until you stop scrolling. What you're looking for is called throttling.

Here's what I came up with and it works well with 20 elements on my PC:

var win = $(window);

win.scroll(function() {
     var bottom_of_window = win.scrollTop() + win.height();
     $('.ElementsToBeChanged').each(function(index,el) { 
            var bottom_of_object = $(el).offset().top + $(el).outerHeight();
            if (bottom_of_window > bottom_of_object) {
                $(el).addClass('red');
            }else{
              $(el).removeClass('red');
            }
        });

});
.ElementsToBeChanged{
  margin:100px;
  height:200px;
  border:1px solid black;
  transition:2s;
}

.ElementsToBeChanged.red{
  background:red;
}
<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>
<div class="ElementsToBeChanged">.ElementsToBeChanged</div>

Lastly, just use a plugin such as Skrollr.js or ScrollMagic

Related