Parallel Fuzzyjoin

Viewed 285

I'm trying to speed up a fuzzyjoin with parallel processing. I have two dataframes, each with several thousand rows each which need to be partially regex joined. However its currently taking over 40 minutes on a single core. The dataframe looks like:

require(fuzzyjoin)

df1 <- data.frame(first_last = c('Jackie S', 'James P', 'Jenny C', 'Jack N'),
                  age = sample(18:65, 4), 
                  stringsAsFactors = F)
df2 <- data.frame(id = c(1:6), 
                  full_name = c('Jackie Smith, CPA', 
                                'Joe Campbell III',
                                'James Park, MD', 
                                'Joyce May, DDS',
                                'Jenny Cox',
                                'Jack Null Jr'), 
                  stringsAsFactors = F)

merged <- regex_right_join(df2, df1, by = c('full_name' = 'first_last'))

(I'm using regex_right_join because regex_left_join isn't working).

To run with parallel processing I have tried with

require(doParallel)
require(foreach)

cl <- makeCluster(4)
registerDoParallel(cl)

parallel_merged <- foreach(i=1, .combine = rbind) %dopar%
  fuzzyjoin::regex_right_join(df2, df1, by = c('full_name' = 'first_last'))

The user and system time are always very low when using doParallel and foreach. Both are < 1s. However the elapsed time with foreach is always about the same as running on a single core (40+ minutes).

0 Answers
Related