This is for Homework
I have to write a program that asks the user to enter a string, then my program would separate the even and odd values from the entered string. Here is my program.
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
int main(void) {
char *str[41];
char odd[21];
char even[21];
int i = 0;
int j = 0;
int k = 0;
printf("Enter a string (40 characters maximum): ");
scanf("%s", &str);
while (&str[i] < 41) {
if (i % 2 == 0) {
odd[j++] = *str[i];
} else {
even[k++] = *str[i];
}
i++;
}
printf("The even string is:%s\n ", even);
printf("The odd string is:%s\n ", odd);
return 0;
}
When I try and compile my program I get two warnings:
For my
scanfI get"format '%s' expects arguments of type char but argument has 'char * (*)[41]". I'm not sure what this means but I assume it's because of the array initialization.On the
whileloop it gives me the warning that says comparison between pointer and integer. I'm not sure what that means either and I thought it was legal in C to make that comparison.
When I compile the program, I get random characters for both the even and odd string.
Any help would be appreciated!