I have some code in Stata that I'm trying to redo in R. I'm working on a delayed entry survival model and I want to limit the follow-up to 5 years. In Stata this is very easy and can be done as follows for example:
stset end, fail(failure) id(ID) origin(start) enter(entry) exit(time 5)
stcox var1
However, I'm having trouble recreating this in R. I've made a toy example limiting follow-up to 1000 days - here is the setup:
library(survival); library(foreign); library(rstpm2)
data(brcancer)
brcancer$start <- 0
# Make delayed entry time
brcancer$entry <- brcancer$rectime / 2
# Write to dta file for Stata
write.dta(brcancer, "brcancer.dta")
Ok so now we've set up an identical dataset for use in both R and Stata. Here is the Stata bit code and model result:
use "brcancer.dta", clear
stset rectime, fail(censrec) origin(start) enter(entry) exit(time 1000)
stcox hormon
And here is the R code and results:
# Limit follow-up to 1000 days
brcancer$limit <- ifelse(brcancer$rectime <1000, brcancer$rectime, 1000)
# Cox model
mod1 <- coxph(Surv(time=entry, time2= limit, event = censrec) ~ hormon, data=brcancer, ties = "breslow")
summary(mod1)
As you can see the R estimates and State estimates differ slightly, and I cannot figure out why. Have I set up the R model incorrectly to match Stata, or is there another reason the results differ?

