So, we have a web app we've migrated to .net core, and while it runs fine in Visual Studio 2017, because Visual Studio uses its "launchSettings.json" file to configure how IIS Express will work/launch - I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to get VS Code to run the project. The problem is, we use HTTPS only and have always just let IIS Express used the self-signed locahost cert to allow this, so when debugging the site locally, we'd always use https://localhost:44300. As stated, this worked fine when entering this url in the launchSerttings.json file for Visual Studio, but VS Code does not use this, and the only answers I can find on this always refer to having to use the Kestrel Server's .Listen() method and used a self-signed cert and password to allow the use of an HTTPS port. 1) this seems just silly that I'd have to add this "test" code to run it locally, because I don't need it when we deploy to Azure, as Azure manages the certs and url for us. 2) Visual Studio 2017 does not need any specification on Kestrel to make this all work. So, I have hard time believing there isn't some extension, or process to achieve the same thing in Visual Studio Code that Visual Studio is doing under the hood to allow IIS Express to communicate with the .Net Core Kestrel Server.
Combing through the all the documentation suggests that the ASPNetCoreModule is what handles this communication for IIS and Kestrel, so, I would hope/guess there has to be some way to configure the web.config file's tag to include something that would make this work.
I've previously used and tried other IIS execution extensions in VS Code, but those focus on elements in the project's web.config to boot IIS which are no longer present in the web.config due to it being a .Net Core app. I had been successfully running the web app with the IIS Express Executor extension before migrating to .Net Core when the web app was a .NET Framework 4.5.2 app
So, the end goal is that I need to be able to go to https://localhost:44300 in the browser, and have our site work, but I don't want to have to add any sort of test-cert into the Kestrel config in the Program.cs or Startup.cs files. If there's no way to do this, then that will be really disappointing considering Visual Studio makes this seem like it should be very simple.
Thanks for the help.