I have the following code to draw a RadialGradientPaint circle:
public class Character {
public static void draw(Graphics2D g2d){
g2d.setColor(Color.RED);
g2d.fillRect(0, 0, 1000, 750);
drawVisibilityPolygon(g2d);
}
private static void drawVisibilityPolygon(Graphics2D g2d){
Point center = new Point(1000 / 2, 750 / 2);
float radius = 200;
float[] dist = {
0f,
1f
};
Color[] colors = {
new Color(0, 0, 0, 0),
new Color(0, 0, 0, 255)
};
drawGradientCircle(g2d, radius, dist, colors, center);
}
private static void drawGradientCircle(Graphics2D g2d, float radius, float[] dist, Color[] colors, Point2D center){
RadialGradientPaint rgp = new RadialGradientPaint(center, radius, dist, colors);
g2d.setPaint(rgp);
g2d.fill(new Ellipse2D.Double(center.getX() - radius, center.getY() - radius, radius * 2, radius * 2));
}
}
The draw method is called by the Display class:
public class Display extends JPanel {
@Override
public void paintComponent(Graphics g){
// SETUP
BufferedImage base = new BufferedImage(getWidth(), getHeight(), BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_ARGB);
Graphics2D g2d = base.createGraphics();
g2d.setRenderingHint(RenderingHints.KEY_ANTIALIASING, RenderingHints.VALUE_ANTIALIAS_ON);
g2d.setRenderingHint(RenderingHints.KEY_INTERPOLATION, RenderingHints.VALUE_INTERPOLATION_BILINEAR);
g2d.setColor(Color.WHITE);
g2d.fillRect(0, 0, getWidth(), getHeight());
// DRAW STUFF
Character.draw(g2d);
// FINISH UP
g.drawImage(base, 0, 0, null);
g2d.dispose();
g.dispose();
}
}
The display class is contained in a JFrame:
public class Window extends JFrame {
private Display display = new Display();
public Window(String title, int width, int height){
super(title);
add(display);
setSize(width, height);
setIgnoreRepaint(false);
setLocationRelativeTo(null);
setResizable(false);
setDefaultCloseOperation(WindowConstants.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
setVisible(true);
}
public Display getDisplay() {
return display;
}
}
This works fine, but I want to fill the part outside of the circle (and only that part) with a color.
I've tried using an AlphaComposite but I cant figure out how to use it to do this. I could just make a bigger circle and decrease the dist1 value but that takes too long to draw (around 10ms on my machine as opposed to the 2ms of the circle in the image). I'm trying to put this into a game.
How would I go about this? Thanks in advance and sorry if this has an obvious solution but I just can't put my finger on it.
If you need more information just ask.

