I'm running some experiments with neural networks in TensorFlow. The release notes for the latest version say DataSet is henceforth the recommended API for supplying input data.
In general, when taking numeric values from the outside world, the range of values needs to be normalized; if you plug in raw numbers like length, mass, velocity, date or time, the resulting problem will be ill-conditioned; it's necessary to check the dynamic range of values and normalize to the range (0,1) or (-1,1).
This can of course be done in raw Python. However, DataSet provides a number of data transformation features and encourages their use, on the theory that the resulting code will not only be easier to maintain, but run faster. That suggests there should also be a built-in feature for normalization.
Looking over the documentation at https://www.tensorflow.org/programmers_guide/datasets however, I'm not seeing any mention of such. Am I missing something? What is the recommended way to do this?