docx.opc.exceptions.PackageNotFoundError: Package not found at

Viewed 16778

Can't open doxc file by path (Package not found at...)

View of directory:

enter image description here

Code:

from docx import Document

# some path of file:
path = 'TestDir/dir2/doc22.docx'

# open docx file:
doc = Document(path)

Have this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "T23_7.py", line 73, in <module>
    searchRegex(dirName, regex)
  File "T23_7.py", line 57, in searchRegex
    current_doc = Document(docx_file)
  File "/home/ch_dmitriy/Documents/Projects/Tutorials/mech-mat-homework/env/lib/python3.5/site-packages/docx/api.py", line 25, in Document
    document_part = Package.open(docx).main_document_part
  File "/home/ch_dmitriy/Documents/Projects/Tutorials/mech-mat-homework/env/lib/python3.5/site-packages/docx/opc/package.py", line 116, in open
    pkg_reader = PackageReader.from_file(pkg_file)
  File "/home/ch_dmitriy/Documents/Projects/Tutorials/mech-mat-homework/env/lib/python3.5/site-packages/docx/opc/pkgreader.py", line 32, in from_file
    phys_reader = PhysPkgReader(pkg_file)
  File "/home/ch_dmitriy/Documents/Projects/Tutorials/mech-mat-homework/env/lib/python3.5/site-packages/docx/opc/phys_pkg.py", line 31, in __new__
    "Package not found at '%s'" % pkg_file
docx.opc.exceptions.PackageNotFoundError: Package not found at 'TestDir/dir2/doc22.docx'

Help, please.

9 Answers

This error simply means there is no .docx file at the location you specified.

Since you specified a relative path, the actual path used is determined by adding 'TestDir/dir2/doc22.docx' to the current working directory Python is using at run time.

You can discover the path being used with this short code snippet:

import os
print(os.path.abspath('TestDir/dir2/doc22.docx')

I expect you'll find that it prints out a path that does not exist, and that you'll need to modify the path string you give it to point to the right place.

Worst case, you can specify an absolute path, like /home/ch_dmitriy/Documents/Projects/Tutorials/TestDir/dir2/doc22.docx.

I had the same issue with the correct path. What worked for me is to create the .docx file with an empty Document().

document = docx.Document()
document.save('your_doc_name.docx')

So you can do something like :

try:
  document = docx.Document('your_doc_name.docx')
except:
  document = docx.Document()
  document.save('your_doc_name.docx')
  print("Previous file was corrupted or didn't exist - new file was created.")

docx.opc.exceptions.PackageNotFoundError: package not found

This error is caused by nothing in your docx file, you can just type a few space characters in the file to fix it.

Try opening the document. In my case, the document was corrupted.

I encountered the same error in python, as I used Os.walk command to search files in Directories (here docx files after importing docx module):

docx.opc.exceptions.PackageNotFoundError: Package not found at

but I did use the complete path, as above Scanny mentioned: It means that the file do not exists, also I print all the file paths before opening them and found out that a few files apparently are temporary created files of word files in windows, when we edit them, they begin all with '~S' and they are not actually exist and this should be the reason of the error. Also I corrected the problem so:

if strfile.endswith('.docx') and not strfile.startswith('~$'):

I got similar problem but worked with virtual environment. My script could not find the source file without full path definition. I found that virtual environment settings pointed to ./venv subdirectory as working directory. So I simply fix the path in PyCharm run settings and it runs. The second solution is simply move source file to ./venv subdirectory .

Another tricky reason in my case for this issue is: DOCX is actually NOT a DOCX file. You can use word processor (such as MS Word) to open file and see the actually file type at the end of the table. To solve this, you can save as the file with DOCX tail so docx can process on it. Hth!

I encountered the same problem. Simply closing the document - which was open during the evaluation of the code - did the job for me.

i encounter this problem before and the solution can be by adding manually something in the file and delete it .

Related