While trying to troubleshoot why systemjs didn't find a custom library I installed (could be a follow up question) I was stuck when trying to do things "manually".
So I have a simple system that consists of 3 files:
- index.html
- hi.js
- hi2.js
the index is just:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Test</title>
</head>
<body>
<script src="hi.js"></script>
</body>
</html>
hi.js:
import * as hi from "hi2.js";
hi.myFunction();
hi2.js:
function myFunction() {
alert('hi')
}
export { myFunction };
Now when I run (using webstorm and chrome 62) above code, I get the following error, reported by the (chrome) debugger: "Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token import"
What's happening here? I checked for javascript compliance on mdn and it tells me import is supported by chrome 61 and newer. - I use chrome 62 for testing this.
So what's going on, and how to make it work?
Per recomendation I also changed the html line to <script type="module" src="hi.js"></script>. That didn't help at all, same error.