I have a synthetic dataset with 1000 noisy polygons of various orders and sin/cos curves that I can plot as lines using python seaborn.
Since I have quite a few lines that are overlapping, I'd like to plot some sort of heatmap or histogram of my line graphs. I've tried iterating over the columns and aggregating the counts to use seaborn's heatmap graph, but with many lines this takes quite a while.
The next best thing that results in what I want was a hexbin graph (with seaborn jointgraph).
But it's a compromise between runtime and granularity (the shown graph has gridsize 750). I couldn't find any other graph-type for my problem. But I also don't know exactly what it might be called.
I've also tried with line alpha set to 0.2. This results in a similar graph to what I want. But it's less precise (if more than 5 lines overlap at the same point I already have zero transparency left). Also, it misses the typical coloration of heatmaps.
(Moot search terms were: heatmap, 2D line histogram, line histogram, density plots...)
Does anybody know packages to plot this more efficiently and high(er) quality or knows how to do it with the popular python plotters (i.e. the matplotlib family: matplotlib, seaborn, bokeh). I'm really fine with any package though.

