A significant part of SQL Server process memory has been paged out

Viewed 11721

I have 512 GB of memory on my physical box, out of which 85% is dedicated to SQL Server. I'm starting to get this message in error log. When this happens, SQL Server closes connection to other processes or users. Any guidance on what should I do here? Nothing runs on the server at this time when this happens. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

A significant part of SQL Server process memory has been paged out. This may result in a performance degradation.

Duration: 602 seconds. Working set (KB): 3860628, committed (KB): 342039316, memory utilization: 1%.

1 Answers

You can prevent Windows from paging by granting the Lock Pages in Memory OS privilege to the SQL Server Service Account, or Per-Service SID.

See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/enable-the-lock-pages-in-memory-option-windows

This will cause SQL Server to bypass the Windows Virtual Memory manager, and directly allocate physical memory.

Beware that when you do this SQL Server will only respond to OS memory pressure slowly, and so other processes needing memory may not be able to run. SO it's important to set Max Server Memory appropriately.

David

Related