While I am creating a new MVC5 project (Framework 4.7 - Not Core framework) using Visual Studio 2017 I see that the version of Microsoft AspNet Identity, which comes with the templates, is 2.0

I searched the web and the nuget and I found that there is a newer version for Microsoft Identity (2.2.1).
I am wondering why microsoft didn't update the version of the identity in Visual Studio 2017 template which is newer than the last version of the identity and how I should upgrade the identity version in an existing project. I assume that I cannot just install it using the Nuget and I may need to update manually some parts of the existing code. Can someone explain what I should change when upgrading from version 2.0 to 2.2.1?
Whats are the benefits of the new version? Is the identity framework of the ".NET core framework" is better than the one the 4.7 Framework has?
