Are there binary way to convert integer hundred position to zero?

Viewed 79

I'm trying to make a function HundredPosToZero to convert hundred position to zero, for example :

HundredPosToZero(4239) // 4039

This is my implement :

public HundredPosToZero(int num){
  return num / 1000 * 1000 + num % 100;
}

However, I'm thinking of why not use bitwise operator like 4239 & 1011 to do the same thing? But I can not figure out how to implement it since 4239 is not a binary, any advice with this approach?

2 Answers

Not really. There is nothing special about decimal hundreds in binary. It would be possible with e.g. a hexadecimal number, but decimal numbers don't play well with binary :)

It is simply impossible if you want this operation to be the same for all numbers as "hundreds" in regular representation of integers don't occupy the same set of bits.

If you use some other binary representation of numbers (like BCD) that allocates groups of bits to unique decimal digits then you can do that easily.

Related