Detect user change clock time after Force Stop app

Viewed 349

I can detect change clock time when app in foreground, background, or kill from Recent App by using android.intent.action.TIME_SET follow here.
However, if I Force Stop app in Setting->Apps I can not receive this broadcast anymore.
Currently, I want to detect user change clock time come back to my app after ForceStop so I do

long deltaTimeBeetweenCurrentTimeAndTimeSinceReboot = System.currentTimeMillis() - SystemClock.elapsedRealtime();
long oldDelta = mSharedPreference.getDeltaTimeBeetweenCurrentTimeAndTimeSinceReboot();
if(deltaTimeBeetweenCurrentTimeAndRebootTime - oldDelta > 5000){
    // clock time change
}

Idea is I saved a delta between currently time (System.currentTimeMillis()) and time since reboot (SystemClock.elapsedRealtime()). Every time I open app, I will compare oldDelta and newDelta (except the first time install). It work well in case: User Fore Stop app->Change time->come back to app.

However, there is still have 1 case that is: User Fore Stop app -> Change the clock time -> Reboot device -> Open my app. At this time I can not use the above method to check the clock time have changed because after reboot the SystemClock.elapsedRealtime() will reset. How can I detect clock time have changed in that case?
Any help or suggestion would be great appreciate.

2 Answers

Few months ago I was in pretty the same situation. I didn't find any answer to directly solve the case, so I won't help you with it. But I can give you kind of advice:
Look at it with a different point of view.

What I did in my case, I answered myself to questions:

"Do I really want to know that user has changed the time - because I implicitly inform/present the fact to user?"

OR

"Do I want to know that user has changed the time - because I need it to invoke some actions or calculations in the application background?"

In my case I had NO-YES answers. So, for problematic case of Force-Stop + reboot I assumed that the time could had been changed and I reset my application's time configuration likewise the first app launch.

Let me know if it helps you anyway.

It would be hard to implement without external etalon (backend is the best option). You may save time a user force to stop the app and when the app alive again compare with some predefined delta (time window). If you get a "big" difference consider the user is cheating.

You may also play with timestamps of the filesystem to define some inconsistency.

Related