I want to read a list of strings seperated by newlines from STDIN, until a new line is witnessed and I want an action of the type IO [String]. Here is how I would do it with recursion:
myReadList :: IO String
myReadList = go []
where
go :: [String] -> IO [String]
go l = do {
inp <- getLine;
if (inp == "") then
return l;
else go (inp:l);
}
However, this method of using go obscures readability and is a pattern so common that one would ideally want to abstract this out.
So, this was my attempt:
whileM :: (Monad m) => (a -> Bool) -> [m a] -> m [a]
whileM p [] = return []
whileM p (x:xs) = do
s <- x
if p s
then do
l <- whileM p xs
return (s:l)
else
return []
myReadList :: IO [String]
myReadList = whileM (/= "") (repeat getLine)
I am guessing there is some default implementation of this whileM or something similar already. However I cannot find it.
Could someone point out what is the most natural and elegant way to deal with this problem?