It seems that, in R, I can refer to a variable with part of a variable name. But I am confused about why I can do that.
Use the following code as an example:
library(car)
scatterplot(housing ~ total)
house.lm <- lm(housing ~ total)
summary(house.lm)
str(summary(house.lm))
summary(house.lm)$coefficients[2,2]
summary(house.lm)$coe[2,2]
When I print the structure of summary(house.lm), I got the following output:
> str(summary(house.lm))
List of 11
$ call : language lm(formula = housing ~ total)
$ terms :Classes 'terms', 'formula' language housing ~ total
.. ..- attr(*, "variables")= language list(housing, total)
.. ..- attr(*, "factors")= int [1:2, 1] 0 1
.. .. ..- attr(*, "dimnames")=List of 2
.. .. .. ..$ : chr [1:2] "housing" "total"
.. .. .. ..$ : chr "total"
.. ..- attr(*, "term.labels")= chr "total"
.. ..- attr(*, "order")= int 1
.. ..- attr(*, "intercept")= int 1
.. ..- attr(*, "response")= int 1
.. ..- attr(*, ".Environment")=<environment: R_GlobalEnv>
.. ..- attr(*, "predvars")= language list(housing, total)
.. ..- attr(*, "dataClasses")= Named chr [1:2] "numeric" "numeric"
.. .. ..- attr(*, "names")= chr [1:2] "housing" "total"
$ residuals : Named num [1:162] -8.96 -11.43 3.08 8.45 2.2 ...
..- attr(*, "names")= chr [1:162] "1" "2" "3" "4" ...
$ coefficients : num [1:2, 1:4] 28.4523 0.0488 10.2117 0.0103 2.7862 ...
..- attr(*, "dimnames")=List of 2
.. ..$ : chr [1:2] "(Intercept)" "total"
.. ..$ : chr [1:4] "Estimate" "Std. Error" "t value" "Pr(>|t|)"
$ aliased : Named logi [1:2] FALSE FALSE
..- attr(*, "names")= chr [1:2] "(Intercept)" "total"
$ sigma : num 53.8
$ df : int [1:3] 2 160 2
$ r.squared : num 0.123
$ adj.r.squared: num 0.118
$ fstatistic : Named num [1:3] 22.5 1 160
..- attr(*, "names")= chr [1:3] "value" "numdf" "dendf"
$ cov.unscaled : num [1:2, 1:2] 3.61e-02 -3.31e-05 -3.31e-05 3.67e-08
..- attr(*, "dimnames")=List of 2
.. ..$ : chr [1:2] "(Intercept)" "total"
.. ..$ : chr [1:2] "(Intercept)" "total"
- attr(*, "class")= chr "summary.lm"
However, it seems that I can refer to the variable coefficients with all of the following commands:
summary(house.lm)$coe[2,2]
summary(house.lm)$coef[2,2]
summary(house.lm)$coeff[2,2]
summary(house.lm)$coeffi[2,2]
summary(house.lm)$coeffic[2,2]
summary(house.lm)$coeffici[2,2]
summary(house.lm)$coefficie[2,2]
summary(house.lm)$coefficien[2,2]
summary(house.lm)$coefficient[2,2]
summary(house.lm)$coefficients[2,2]
They all give the same results: 0.01029709
Therefore, I was wondering when I can refer to a variable with only part of its name in R?