I am attempting to build a project that comes with an automake/autoconf build system. This is a well-used project, so I'm skeptical about a problem with the configure scripts, makefiles, or code as I received them. It is likely some kind of environment, path, flag, etc problem - something on my end with simply running the right commands with the right parameters.
The configuration step seems to complete in a satisfactory way. When I run make, I'm shown a set of errors primarily of these types:
error: ‘TRUE’ undeclared here (not in a function)
error: ‘struct work’ has no member named ‘version’
error: expected ‘)’ before ‘PRIu64’
Let's focus on the last one, which I have spent time researching - and I suspect all the errors are related to missing definitions. Apparently the print-friendly extended definitions from the C standard library header file inttypes.h is not being found. However, in the configure step everything is claimed to be in order:
configure:4930: checking for inttypes.h
configure:4930: /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc -c -g -O2 conftest.c >&5
configure:4930: $? = 0
configure:4930: result: yes
All the INTTYPES flags are set correctly if I look in confdefs.h, config.h, config.log Output Variables, etc:
HAVE_INTTYPES_H='1'
#define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
The problem is the same whether doing a native build, or cross-compiling (for arm-linux-gnueabihf, aka armhf).
The source .c file in question does have config.h included as you'd expect, which by my understanding via the m4 macros mechanic should be adding an
#include <inttypes.h>
line. Yes, as you may be inclined to ask, if I enter this line myself into the .c file it appears to work and the PRIu64 errors go away.
I'm left with wondering how to debug this type of problem - essentially, everything I am aware of tells me I've done the configure properly, but I'm left with a bogus make process. Aside from trying every ./configure tweak and trick I can find, I've started looking at the auto-generated Makefile.in itself, but nothing so far. Also looking into how I can get the C pre-processor to tell me which header files it's actually inserting.
EDIT: I've confirmed that the -DHAVE_CONFIG_H mechanic looks good through configure, config.log, Makefile, etc.