Does AWS have Windows 10 AMI available?

Viewed 47406
5 Answers

You can use AWS Import/Export to transfer existing disk images into AWS, including Windows 10.

However, you will be responsible for the licensing of non-Server products such as Windows 10.

AWS Workspaces does not give you a Windows client install. AWS will only provide server installs.

"All Amazon WorkSpaces bundles include a Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 10 desktop experience, powered by Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2016 respectively...".

As per aws.amazon.com/workspaces/details

I tested this and even though "Standard with Windows 10 Free tier eligible" was selected, I logged in to a Server 2016 system.

I believe AWS only provide Windows Server AMIs, though Windows Server 2016 is the server equivalent platform to Windows 10. They likely only have licenses to run Windows Server.

You can run Windows 10 on Amazon WorkSpaces, but you need to purchase your own license for this.

Edit: Looks like AWS now provide licensed copies of Windows 10 through WorkSpaces. Thanks Matt Houser!

Try this new AMI.

https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/prodview-6izpqsustac6a

It is a safe and reliable Windows Desktop capable of running in a virtualized environment. I should know, I built it. It is newly available on Amazon. Subscribe and make AMI copies while it is still available.

If the Administrator password is not set on first launch, reboot the instance via console and wait until fully up before trying to log in again.

If all else fails, SSH log in using your public/private key pair used at launch and set password via PowerShell:

$Password = ConvertTo-SecureString "MyNewPassword" -AsPlainText -Force
Get-LocalUser -Name "Administrator" | Set-LocalUser -Password $Password 

Then, remove the cloud init script to prevent it from resetting your password to the instance ID:

unregister-scheduledtask -TaskName TLC-init
Related