I'm implementing a worker engine with an upper limit to concurrency. I'm using a semaphore to wait until concurrency drops below the maximum, then use Task.Factory.StartNew to wrap the async handler in a try/catch, with a finally which releases the semaphore.
I realise this creates threads on the thread pool - but my question is, when one of those task-running threads actually awaits (on a real IO call or wait handle), is the thread returned to the pool, as I'd hope it would be?
If there's a better way to implement a task scheduler with limited concurrency where the work handler is an async method (returns Task), I'd love to hear it too. Or, let's say ideally, if there's a way to queue up an async method (again, it's a Task-returning async method) that feels less dodgy than wrapping it in a synchronous delegate and passing it to Task.Factory.StartNew, that would seem perfect..?
(This also makes me think that there are two kinds of parallelism here: how many tasks are being processed overall, but also how many continuations are running on different threads concurrently. Might be cool to have configurable options for both, though not a fixed requirement..)
Edit: snippet:
concurrencySemaphore.Wait(cancelToken);
deferRelease = false;
try
{
var result = GetWorkItem();
if (result == null)
{ // no work, wait for new work or exit signal
signal = WaitHandle.WaitAny(signals);
continue;
}
deferRelease = true;
tasks.Add(Task.Factory.StartNew(() =>
{
try
{
DoWorkHereAsync(result); // guess I'd think to .GetAwaiter().GetResult() here.. not run this yet
}
finally
{
concurrencySemaphore.Release();
}
}, cancelToken));
}
finally
{
if (!deferRelease)
{
concurrencySemaphore.Release();
}
}