Twig - determine if mobile agent or not

Viewed 12624

I'm developing a site on a platform that's using the Twig (Symfony) language for its templates, and in one place, I need to change the layout (disable a default block and load a different block) based on whether the user is on a mobile device or a desktop.

I know how to do it in PHP (using the "check_user_agent('mobile')" variable), but that doesn't work in Twig... and I've come across a reference to the Twig "Mobile Detect Bundle", but I have no idea how to install it (shared hosting with cPanel).

Soo... is there a way to detect mobile user-agent in Twig, without having to install anything?

3 Answers

During each request, Symfony will set a global template variable app in both Twig and PHP template engines by default. The Request object that represents the current request: app.request

So if you want to know the user-agent you can use app.request.headers in the template.
e.g :

{{ app.request.headers.get('User-Agent')}}

If you already have PHP code to return true/false based on the user agent, it is quite simple to Write a custom Twig Extension to run that code, but from Twig.

Alternatively, you can run the check in the controller and pass in the result, or in a 'kernel.controller Event' to even run the check before a controller action is called (probably putting it into a Request 'attributes', where it can also be checked in the template).

Related