Tasks are only available on a workspace folder?

Viewed 23338

Can't find an simple, basic solution anywhere for this problem so I figured it was worth posting it here.

When I go to run my code as a task, I get the following message: "Tasks are only available on a workspace folder" - I can't find a solution anywhere and I'm a beginner at Visual Studio Code so I might need the answer / solution explaining in more simpler terms.

VSC Version = 1.17.0

2 Answers

Visual Studio Code treats the folder containing your program file as a workspace folder.

Your tasks created will be contained in a file tasks.json within a hidden folder .vscode inside your project or workspace folder.

So instead of opening the file directly to create a task, you need to open the folder as a project.

You can have User level tasks to share them across projects since VSCode 1.42 (Jan. 2020).

But regarding workspace tasks, since VSCode 1.57 (May 2021), said tasks will have to be "trusted" by anyone opening the same workspace, assuming you have versioned and pushed the .vscode folder.

Safe code browsing

It's great that there is so much source code available on public repositories and file shares. No matter the coding task or problem, there is probably already a good solution available somewhere.

However, using open-source code and tools does have risks and you can leave yourself open to malicious code execution and exploits.

Workspace Trust provides an extra layer of security when working with unfamiliar code by preventing automatic code execution when a workspace is open in Restricted Mode.

https://media.githubusercontent.com/media/microsoft/vscode-docs/vnext/release-notes/images/1_57/workspace-trust-editor.png

Related