I have a list l=['a', 'b' ,'c']
and a dataframe with columns d,e,f and values are all numbers How can I insert list l in my dataframe just below the columns.
I have a list l=['a', 'b' ,'c']
and a dataframe with columns d,e,f and values are all numbers How can I insert list l in my dataframe just below the columns.
Setup
df = pd.DataFrame(np.ones((2, 3), dtype=int), columns=list('def'))
l = list('abc')
df
d e f
0 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
Option 1
I'd accomplish this task by adding a level to the columns object
df.columns = pd.MultiIndex.from_tuples(list(zip(df.columns, l)))
df
d e f
a b c
0 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
Option 2
Use a dictionary comprehension passed to the dataframe constructor
pd.DataFrame({(i, j): df[i] for i, j in zip(df, l)})
d e f
a b c
0 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
But if you insist on putting it in the dataframe proper... (keep in mind, this turns the dataframe into dtype object and we lose significant computational efficiencies.)
Alternative 1
pd.DataFrame([l], columns=df.columns).append(df, ignore_index=True)
d e f
0 a b c
1 1 1 1
2 1 1 1
Alternative 2
pd.DataFrame([l] + df.values.tolist(), columns=df.columns)
d e f
0 a b c
1 1 1 1
2 1 1 1
Use pd.concat
In [1112]: df
Out[1112]:
d e f
0 0.517243 0.731847 0.259034
1 0.318821 0.551298 0.773115
2 0.194192 0.707525 0.804102
3 0.945842 0.614033 0.757389
In [1113]: pd.concat([pd.DataFrame([l], columns=df.columns), df], ignore_index=True)
Out[1113]:
d e f
0 a b c
1 0.517243 0.731847 0.259034
2 0.318821 0.551298 0.773115
3 0.194192 0.707525 0.804102
4 0.945842 0.614033 0.757389
Are you looking for append i.e
df = pd.DataFrame([[1,2,3]],columns=list('def'))
I = ['a','b','c']
ndf = df.append(pd.Series(I,index=df.columns.tolist()),ignore_index=True)
Output:
d e f 0 1 2 3 1 a b c
If you want add list to columns for MultiIndex:
df.columns = [df.columns, l]
print (df)
d e f
a b c
0 4 7 1
1 5 8 3
2 4 9 5
3 5 4 7
4 5 2 1
5 4 3 0
print (df.columns)
MultiIndex(levels=[['d', 'e', 'f'], ['a', 'b', 'c']],
labels=[[0, 1, 2], [0, 1, 2]])
If you want add list to specific position pos:
pos = 0
df1 = pd.DataFrame([l], columns=df.columns)
print (df1)
d e f
0 a b c
df = pd.concat([df.iloc[:pos], df1, df.iloc[pos:]], ignore_index=True)
print (df)
d e f
0 a b c
1 4 7 1
2 5 8 3
3 4 9 5
4 5 4 7
5 5 2 1
6 4 3 0
But if append this list to numeric dataframe, get mixed types - numeric with strings, so some pandas functions should failed.
Setup:
df = pd.DataFrame({'d':[4,5,4,5,5,4],
'e':[7,8,9,4,2,3],
'f':[1,3,5,7,1,0]})
print (df)