I'm trying to configure Keras install under an Anaconda virtualenv with all of that running under Ubuntu 17.04. I've installed keras-gpu via conda, and have generated a bootstrap ~/.keras directory by running python -c 'import keras'; finally, I've updated my keras.json within that directory to include tensorflow as the backend rather than theano.
I've also tried those steps with the regular, non-GPU keras available on conda.
The issue I'm getting is that the backend option in my keras.json is being read (since invalid values raise exceptions), but is being overruled by an environment variable that gets exported by Anaconda itself -- according to grep, there are a few instances of:
export KERAS_BACKEND=tensorflow
export KERAS_BACKEND=theano
... Scattered around a number of files in ~/miniconda3/pkgs/keras-2.0.2-py36_1/.
I'm hesitant to manually edit these files since they're automatically put there by the package manager, but I also want to avoid explicitly specifying KERAS_BACKEND=tensorflow at the start of each session, and I'd like to avoid solutions involving tools like direnv.
How can I get conda's keras to use tensorflow by default?