I am working on data looking at the degeneration of neurites in Neurons derived from human stem cells. The output data is a pair of images, one "before" picture of long, healthy neurites, and one "after" picture of broken, dystrophic neurites. We have an image processing suite that is able to label these neurites, however the software is only able to calculate total neurite area, which does not effectively differentiate between the before and after photos.
I have tried to create an example below. On the left is our "before" picture, with fewer, longer, thicker lines. On the left is the "after" photo with fewer, thinner lines.
Currently, the data output of "area" for pictures "A" and "B" is very similar. I am considering whether it would be possible to write a program which would only count continuous, long object as present in picture A . The final output of the data would just need to be one number for each photo. I.e. photo A may just output "545", vs photo B which could output "33" .
I can think of versions of object recognition which allow total counting, but can not think of a way to adjust the program to only recognise the longer continous lines rather than the short blobs.
The only reason we prefer to use python is that earlier stages in the processing pipeline use python scripts and we would rather stick to one language if possible. (We also have much more experience in python than matlab).
