I have troubles understanding strings as pointers. Apparently a string is understood as a pointer which points to the first address of the string. So using the "&"-operator I should receive the address of the first character of the string. Here's a small example:
#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main(){
char text[101];
int length;
cout << "Enter a word: ";
cin >> text;
length = strlen(text);
for (int i = 0; i <= length; i++) {
cout << " " << &text[i];
}
return 0;
}
When entering a word such as "Hello", the output is: "Hello ello llo lo o". Instead I expected to receive the address of each character of "Hello". When I use the cast long(&text[i]) it works out fine. But I don't understand why. Without the cast, apparently the "&"-operator gives the starting address of the string to be printed. Using a cast it gives the address of every character separately.
Maybe sb. can explain this to me - I'd be really grateful!